The Environmental Policy Team falls under the Airspace Policy and ATC Procedures Group, handling environmental matters for Mission Support Services for ATO. The team develops environmental policy, standards, and guidance and provides technical advice to FAA headquarters, service areas, and field offices. The team also represents Mission Support Services at meetings and conferences on environmental activities that affect air traffic operations and the National Airspace System (NAS).
What's Happening Now
- The final Environmental Assessment for the Atlanta Metroplex Project is available for review.
The following FAA Adoptions of DoD's Environmental Assessments for actions involving Special Use Airspace (SUA) are available for review:
- JPARC-Final Signed WrttnRe-EvalAdptnEISR2201R2205MOA mods (29JULY2019) (PDF)
FAA has adopted specific portions of the Army and Air Force's Final EIS for the Modernization and Enhancements of Ranges, Airspace, and Training Areas in the Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex in Alaska; the adopted portions of the EIS are specific to Battle Area Complex Restricted Area R-2201 and the Expand Restricted Area R-2205, including the Digital Multi-Purpose Training Range, of the Army and Air Force's Final EIS (FEIS) #20130181, Modernization and Enhancement of Ranges, Airspace, and Training Areas in the Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex in Alaska. The Air Force filed the FEIS with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) on June 28, 2013 (78 FR 38975). FAA was a cooperating agency on the project and recirculation of the document is not necessary under Section 1506.3(c) of the CEQ Regulations.
- FAA's Adoption Environmental Assessment for the U.S. Marine Corps' Use of Playas Temporary Military Operations Area, Playas, New Mexico for 2019; signed June 7, 2019 (PDF)
- Supplemental environmental analysis for temporary activation of PLAYAS military operations area. (PDF)
- 2019 Supplemental technical evaluation PLAYAS training and research center temporary military operations area. (PDF)
- PLAYAS Military operating area and red flag rescue supplemental analysis. (PDF)
- PLAYAS Military operating area and red flag rescue supplemental analysis findings of no significant impact and record of decision. (PDF)
- Supplemental environmental analysis for temporary activation of PLAYAS military operations area indings of no significant impact and record of decision. (PDF)
- PLAYAS Temporary militray operating area in support of SPMAGTF-CR-CC 20.1 certification exercise. (PDF)
- DoD Rotocraft Noise Model (RNM) (PDF)
- SHPO Response (PDF)
- Army EA for Proposed Modification to Restricted Area (RA) 4102, Fort Devens, Massachusetts. May 31, 2019. (PDF)
- Air Force Training Exercises at Grayling, Michigan, Temporary Military Operations Area (TMOA). May 21, 2019. (PDF)
- Air Force Training Exercises at Playas, New Mexico, Temporary Military Operations Area (TMOA). May 20, 2019. (PDF)
- FAA's Written Re-Evaluation and Adoption EIS and ROD for the Proposed Air Force Modernization and Enhancement of Ranges, Airspace, and Training Areas in the Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex (JPARC), Alaska. Signed August 29, 2018. (MS Word)
- FAA's Written Re-Evaluation and Adoption EIS and ROD for the Proposed U.S. Marine Corps Modernization of the Existing Special Use Airspace and Amendment of R-3007 A/C/E at Townsend Bombing Range, Georgia. Signed June 12, 2018. (MS Word)
- FAA's Adoption EIS and ROD for the Proposed Establishment and Modification of Oregon Military Training Airspace, September 29,
2017 (MS Word)
- FAA Categorical Exclusion Declaration/Record of Decision for Westchester County Airport (HPN) (PDF) (June 20, 2017)
- Categorical Exclusion document for John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), JFK RWY 13L RNAV (GPS) transition to the JFK Instrument Landing System (ILS) or Localizer 13L procedure (PDF) – Developed to provide approach stability, reduce missed approaches, and reduce controller workload for aircraft using JFK lLS RWY 13L. This procedure will also mitigate any increases to minimum vectoring altitudes and enhance safety. (March 17, 2017)
- Newark, NJ Airport, Categorical Exclusion for RNAV Procedure, Runway 29. (PDF) (January 24, 2017) | Accessible Version (MS Word)
The FAA's airspace redesign efforts are important to enhance capacity and meet the demand for air travel, which is rebounding to levels experienced in 2000. Airspace redesign efforts have played and will continue to play a critical role in enhancing capacity, transitioning to more flexible routing, and reducing delays.
Learn more about Environmental Reviews »
Applicable Environmental Regulations & Policy
Regulations, orders, and guidance documents typically referenced for all project-related environmental reviews.
Read more about Applicable Environmental Regulations & Policy »
Environmental Analysis Tools & Guidance
The Environmental Policy Team helps develop and ensure that the latest noise and air quality impact evaluation tools are used in assessing environmental impacts of FAA's airspace projects.
Learn more about Environmental Analysis Tools & Guidance »